Saturday, March 25, 2006

hmm... what movie to watch?

this is a good read if you want to know abt the local arts and entertainment scene/industry ---->http://afdlinshauki.blogspot.com/

this is what i said in Afdlin's comment box:

hi there,

I have been moved to leave a comment in this box because I think I need to let this little voice inside of me out. Only then would it be called 'speaking up'. I have been a silent reader of your blog and also Christina's, sometimes Patrick's too...

As a Malaysian who frequent the movies, I have to admit I am becoming more analytical and critical (maybe even cynical) of what makes a good reel and what does not. I find that I am slowly gathering my thoughts and views from each poster and advert of a movie to the movie itself that I see to form my own judgment of a good-movie criterion. Whether this is healthy or not, I do not know but I at least I can safely attest that I no longer fall into the silent crowd.

I have not seen Pesona Non Grata yet so I am in no position to judge it good or otherwise. But what draws me to utter, "2 tickets (sometimes more) for $%$%#$%!!, please"? Well, many a time it's the whispers from my pals from behind or recommendation from the counter person, and sometimes it is based on something as trivial (or maybe not) the posters and movie slogans themselves.

I remember thinking to myself on many occasions, "Maybe this is another impossible Malaysian love story!" And how and why is it that the leads always look so impossibly good with perfect make-up (heavy shadings included) and hairdo when they play simple, everyday plain-janes? We do not look so immaculate, you know... I do not want to watch a movie that leaves me feeling disgusted with myself. That is why I go see movies with quirky, different and genuine people on the posters with intelligent and witty shout-outs.

I watch a movie to grow up. But hey, I am a big fan of The Rugrats! For a 25-year-old Malaysian, I still have a lot of growing up to do, yes. I also watch a movie to connect to my thoughts and emotions hence I write this . I think it is time we Malaysian movie people (audience included)be true to ourselves.

When I was still pocketing my weekly allowance courtesy of my parents, I did not give a hoot what movie I went to because if it was not good, then I could go for another one next week. I went to every movie there was at the cinema. But since I have started working (or slogging) for my own dosh, I am beginning to realize the value of every penny. (I also do not give a hoot if that was a cliche!)But now, things have changed and I have my own stand now about what i choose to do or see. I am glad for that fact as I do not conform to things so easily now as I used to and I am slowly finding myself, breaking away from uniformity.

Is it safe to say that a good movie in Malaysia sees a nearly-empty theatre? I remember the movie 'Derailed' i went to and only my pals and I and two other couples filled the whole room! I I gave that movie a NINE over ten!

I am glad you brought this up, Afdlin. About speaking up, that is.

1 Comments:

Blogger soleilina said...

thanks swan :) hehehe.. but that cutie pie isn't exactly mine.. had her borrowed from my neighbour. lol! i'm new to this blogging scene but it's the best thing i have done in a long while... I will keep writing and i am glad to receive your kind words of encouragement. thank you :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home