Sunday, May 13, 2007

Di Suatu Senja D Musim Yang Lalu...

Last Friday after work, I drove around aimlessly, refusing to go home for some mysterious reason and suddenly I found myself at The Esplanade after tucking into a meal of chapati at my favourite vegetarian restaurant in Little India, taking in the late evening breeze. I got into my car not long after that and made my way to Batu Feringghi.It was the best evening I've had in a long, long time. And I was alone. It was a journey of self-discovery for I discovered so many things about myself yesterday.

Among others, I discovered that I was a good and courteous driver, I loved driving (unbelievable but true!), I was much happier alone than being with someone, I did not have to go clubbing to have fun any more, My idea of fun had changed, I was an eighties kid, I was a very disciplined person, I had two strands of grey hair, I was commitment-phobic and I was much happier alone. :P

Broery Marantika was playing in my car's cd player and I found myself crooning along to his famous tunes such as Widuri, Sepanjang Jalan Kenangan and Angin Malam which are some of my favourites. A wave of nostalgia washed over me as I was transported back in the good ol' days of the eighties when Abah would take me to watch live bands and they often did Broery and Alleycats which explains my inexplicable lifelong infatuation with them. I got curious stares whenever I stopped at traffic lights but I couldn't have cared less! I had wanted to go to Batu Ferringhi in a long time but yesterday, despite the sleepless night the night before which resulted in my head weighing like a tonne of bricks, I braved myself and drove steadily all the way to my destination. It was a totally enjoyable drive as I've always been attracted to the winding roads with the beach peeking from below that lead to this fascinating part of Penang Island. It seems to remind me of the opening part of the crime series I was so into when I was in school, One West Waikiki starring Cheryl Ladd. Well, it's a far cry from Hawaii, but with a little bit of imagination, one's almost there. Almost. Besides, since when is fantasizing a crime?

I don't know if it's just the Cancerian part of me but I have always liked being near water. It has this calming effect on me or rather my frazzled nerves.I especially like being around the sea at sunset and dusk but I have never been bold enough to tell that to anyone for fear of it being a cliche. But then again, how can something so simple yet mistifyingly beautiful be a cliche? Is beauty a cliche?

When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time in Pangkor Island where a very close family friend ran a chalet business. I remember spending countless hours at the beach with Ranger the German Shepherd as my bodyguard. I never had real showers back then for the sea was where I'd bathe the first thing when I woke up. The sea in Pangkor back then was still quite untainted and I could see my feet in the crystal clear seawater and sometimes when I was lucky, I could see tiny fishes swimming around in the shallow sea in lines. They were swimming in lines! I had this gigantic float made out of an unwanted truck tyre tube and I would pretend I was a victim of a shipwreck, floating away in the open sea or that I was a fisherman, catching fish in a 'sampan' when I was really collecting seaweed on a tyre tube!

Ok, back to yesterday. Having bade monsieur soleil goodbye, I parked my car at Park Royal,treaded my way along the sidewalk make-shift stalls selling all sorts of knick-knacks from imitation goods to sex toys and embarked on another therapy: retail therapy! Anyone who knows me knows that if there's anything I hate, it's shopping but yesterday the word 'shopping' was given a whole new meaning in my books. Let's just say that it's made its way into my good books. Satisfied with my loot, I made my way to Park Royal to pee and to get my car. On the way out of the loo, I heard the live band playing and I just had to muster every ounce of resistance in me not to go near them lest i got glued- again! After all, I had intended to go to the Jelutong market to get my mom her favourite 'economy bee hoon' and 'thorng sui'. And so I did.

Ahhh.. I should have more of these kinds of rendezvous, ne c'est pas?

4 Comments:

Blogger muteaudio said...

Whenever I'm back in Pg, I'll drive to Kpg Perlis and have Laksa Janggus!

9:40 AM  
Blogger muteaudio said...

Whenever I'm back in Pg, I'll drive to Kpg Perlis and have Laksa Janggus!

9:40 AM  
Blogger soleilina said...

errr, Kg Perlis tu kat mana? awat cheq tak tau? (ala2 Ogy Ahmad Daud's style of speaking)

9:53 PM  
Blogger muteaudio said...

Head to P.Betong/Kem Bina Negara Balik Pulau, once sampai kat Balai raya/sekolah rendah, turn right. About 1 km away, Laksa Janggus is on your right.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home