Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Hospital Episode

I'm doing this rather hurried entry from a rather dingy internet cafe opposite the hospital I've been admitted to (yeh, snuck out under the very watchful eyes of the otherwise nice nurses and it's not like I'm vegetative or anything)

This hospital that I'm currently calling home is such a happening place as it is strategically located opposite a shopping complex which, although pathetic, boasts of all the deaths of me such as Starbucks, Thai stalls selling my favourite thai salad (som tam), my favourite taiwanese teas and there are even bookshops to boot! Really helps keep my hormone levels in check.

Right, about being hospitalised, I came here after having been referred to Dr. Elizabeth Ann (who is a very pretty and tremendously kind and efficient endocrinologist who hails from the states) by a very no-nonsense doctor near my uni who was not so pleased with my thyroxine levels and severe my water retention.

Staying here has been some sort of a deja vu for me as I was born right here in this hospital came in a couple of times before. A very good place to be sick in as the food here suits me very well as they're vegetarian and also I dig the bakery here as everything sold is very healthful and is made of whosesome ingredients such as wholewheats and natural sugars. I'm quite skeptical about some hospitals which serve whites and deep-frieds and not only that, they sell junk food in their commissary too. So much for promoting healthy eating habits and lifestyles! I have this nagging suspicion that those hospitals are purposely selling and serving all those incriminating junks so that they churn in more profit from more and more sick people.

I'm also sitting here trying to make out which key is which as it's nearly impossible to see which key I'm hitting given the lack of light here. Good thing I hung out a lot with my visually impaired buddy back in secondary school, Asiah and thanks to her I'm quite adept at braille.

Just now my doctor came in to tell me of the result of my blood tests. I was told rather matter-of-factly (which is a doctor's common demeanor when breaking some health or rather unhealthy findings to a patient) I had polycyctic ovarian syndrome , hyperthyroidism and liver problems which explains my sudden resemblance to a blowfish! So now I'm on yet another pill-popping regimen until I shrivel up to my normal size as I've been told that the meds I'm on have got shrinking properties. Hurrahh!!

Right, I better bounce back to my boudoir before my absence is noticed. To my friends, students and everyone who knows me, a heartfelt thanks for the Teacher's Day wishes and get-well-soon wishes. Thanks for making a mark in my life. A very memorable one.

3 Comments:

Blogger muteaudio said...

Hospital that serves the best food.... Penang Medical Centre (now Gleneagles)

1:01 PM  
Blogger erinalaw said...

Pumpuan, hang sakit apa? Sampai duck kat hospital also punya lar happy. Since, you so shiok dok kat sana, aku ada tag sama hang. Pi cepat cepat buat. Tosak cakap banyak. Hospital mana hang dok?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it has been awhile since I visited your blog. sorry to know that you are in the hospital. hope you have recovered and well now. hey...you know what, now I understand so well why you left your previous college job! guess what, I am there now...and planning to cabut very very fast now! what was I thinking when I got myself in there 2 months ago?! gosh....it's horrible. The only thing I love are my students...

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home