Sunday, April 16, 2006

Afdlin is right. GUBRA is THE movie to watch!

I finally got the chance to catch Gubra after lunch today and I have to agree with Adlin. Totally. it IS a must-see! I can strike all chords there are with this movie. For this movie really reflects a genuine Malaysia which depicts the reality and true happenings in all walks of life in this country. It really breathes every breath of Malaysia in every scene from every aspect with regard to our diversity of language, culture, belief and tradition. I think words alone will not do much justice to this movie. One has to watch it to know what I mean.
On another note, how many times have we come across non-Malays who actually pay to watch a malay movie? Well, I have never bothered to ask that question before since I had this impression that the only Malay movies non-Malays watch and appreciate are the P.Ramlee ones and not more than that. Can't blame them though. Even I think twice before choosing to watch another strereotypical malay flick.
But, while in the theatre, I thought I heard people talking softly in hokkien. Not giving much thought to it and dismissing it by telling myself that they might be of the same breed as me (as in of mixed parentage) I didn't give it much thought and sat back and continued listening to Orked screaming. LOL. But when the movie ended and I did a quick look-around of the theatre, I was very amazed to find the people sitting behind me were indeed Chinese. A bunch of them and they were still discussing the movie. LOL. And, there were two mat-sallehs with them too! Finally the stereotype is slowly being broken. Kudos to Yasmin Ahmad!


THE Movie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home