Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday @ everywhere


This is the yummy dessert i was raving about which I got at Batu Lanchang food court. It's actually 'thong yuen' in coconut milk served with shaved ice and red beans.


My grampa's grave...


This is the grave of a certain Mr. Andrew Duncan who passed away in 1931. His loyal dog just refused to leave his grave and it died there. Hence the monument. It's the most touching thing..

This is a lovely picture of the stupa at Wat Chaiyamangalaram or The Sleeping Buddha Temple.


The Sleeping Buddha


My Great Grandpa and Great Grandma


Had loads of fun today cruising around town. Went for lunch with my family at Cititel Hotel. Food there was so-so but i did enjoy the lamb-chops! yumm! After that, we headed to the temple of The Sleeping Buddha to pay respects to my great-grandpa and great-grandma who were cremated there. Although my whole family embraced Islam when Mom and Dad got married, that does not mean we should forget our roots and tradition entirely.
The Sleeping Buddha or Wat Chaiyamangalaram is a nice place to be with its quaint and very peaceful ambience but the joss-sticks were a tad too much for me to bear! The smoke which encapsulated the enclosed underpass where the urns are placed really made me tear!
Then we headed to my granpa's grave at Western Road. I've always liked this place as it's got a certain charm and tranquility about it. The canopy of frangipani trees at the cemetery gives it a hint of romance and mystery. Said our hellos to my gramps and then off we went to my former high school. Snapped around a bit (as promised).
Then, my Mom said she wanted to get some fish from the Batu Lanchang market. I didn't follow her inside. Instead, I went on my own to the food court and bought myself a nice and cooling dessert. hehehe.. It was just thong yuen but what was special about it was that it was not served in syrup. Instead, it was served with shaved ice and coconut milk and tinned kidney beans. yum! Bliss on such a scorching day! hehehe...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
Thong yuen... I must say, the one time I had them was couple of months back. Tu pon frozen, had to boil em. And it had red bean paste inside. I tak makan with any soup, just makan dia saja sbb mcm makan kuih buah melaka... teringinnya *lol*

11:29 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Eh eh, I duk pegi market tu tapi tak pernah tengok tong yuen pun. Must try soon.

BTW, wow, you really got a lot of mix culture.

1:03 AM  
Blogger soleilina said...

5xmom: dia ada on Saturday/Sunday only.. gerai dia kat opposite the 'cheh hoo' gerai which is also beside tha mamak nasi kandar by the corner one.. ala, gerai tu yang ader jual cendol punyer.. hehehe...
ya lor, so many mixed culture until i pening. LOL

1:33 AM  
Blogger soleilina said...

Kak Mar: saya pun peminat buah melaka.. hehehe...

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home